Fresh Science 2021 is open for nominations from early career researchers. Nominate by 29 July here.
Fresh Science is a national competition that helps early-career researchers find their science story and share it. Often described as a ‘communication bootcamp’, the program teaches communication and media skills, and mentors the researchers in how to build their profile. See detail below about the program this year.
Nominations close next Thursday 29 July 2021.
Got results, a discovery or invention that has not received any publicity?
Nominate for Fresh Science 2021. Find your story, get media trained and promote your science.
Fresh Science is looking for:
- early-career researchers (from Honours students to no more than five years post-PhD)
- a peer-reviewed discovery that has had little or no media coverage; and
- some ability to present ideas in everyday English.
Participants receive a day of media training followed by the chance to share their work with peers at the pub. Their work will be profiled online, promoted by social media and, for some, the mainstream media.
In some states, they will also get an introduction to talking to business and government and learn how to pitch.
Now in its 23rd year, Fresh Science has trained over 550 scientists to share their science, and generated hundreds of news stories via TV, print, radio and online. You can read past Fresh Scientists’ stories online at freshscience.org.au.
In 2021 Fresh Science will run in QLD, VIC, and NSW.
In each state where we run an event, we will select the top ten applicants (Vic, Qld, NSW). For successful applicants from other states, you will be invited to participate in a nearby state event if you can cover your travel costs. Events are in October and November– dates are online.
Nominations close 5pm AEST Thursday 29 July.
Fresh Science is an initiative of Science in Public and is supported nationally by Defence Science Technology Group.
- Fresh Science VIC is supported by The University of Melbourne, Monash University, La Trobe University and hosted by the Royal Society of Victoria.
- Fresh Science NSW is supported by UNSW, Western Sydney University, Macquarie University and hosted by the Australian National Maritime Museum.
- Fresh Science QLD is supported by UQ, Griffith University, QUT, University of Southern Queensland and University of the Sunshine Coast. It hosted by UQ and Griffith; and delivered in partnership with Econnect Communication.
We are working on the final sponsorships to lock in events for SA and WA. We have early support from Flinders University, the University of Adelaide, University of Western Australia, Curtin University, the South Australian Museum, and the Western Australian Museum.
Science in Public
Mobile: 0413 332 489
Or call the office on +61 (3) 9398 1416
82 Hudsons Rd, Spotswood VIC 3015, Australia