21 Aug 2023

Meet Fernando Gordillo Altamirano


Dr Fernando Gordillo Altamirano completed his medical training in his native Ecuador, but knew that he wanted to pursue a career in research rather than clinical practice. That decision brought him to Australia, where he completed further study including a Masters degree and PhD before joining Central Clinical School’s Department of Infectious Diseases as a postdoctoral researcher last year. 

Can you tell us about your work?

I kill superbugs! Superbugs are bacteria that have become resistant to antibiotics. They are increasingly common in hospitals, where they can infect the most vulnerable patients, and doctors struggle to treat these infections. I work on a method called phage therapy. Phages are viruses: good viruses! Instead of harming or killing human cells, phages only kill bacteria. So, we can treat superbug infections using these viruses, killing the bacteria and saving the patients.

How did you become interested in phage research?

As I was ‘shopping around’ for PhD projects, I met my eventual supervisor, a world leader in phage research: Associate Professor Jeremy Barr of Monash University’s School of Biological Sciences. Before that, I had only briefly learned about phages but had never imagined we could use them to treat infections in humans. Jeremy’s passion ignited my love for phages. It’s thrilling to be working in research where I can apply my medical knowledge and my laboratory expertise simultaneously. 

What is the potential impact of your research?

As I was studying to become a doctor, I realised how superbug infections were becoming more frequent and severe, I knew they were a problem worth tackling. A decade on, antibiotic resistance is one of the biggest challenges in healthcare. For patients infected by superbugs, where all antibiotics have stopped working, research into new therapies (such as phages) can be the difference between life and death.

What is the most rewarding or enjoyable part of your work?

Because phage therapy has only recently re-emerged as a viable strategy against superbug infections, we’re still learning a lot. Working with phages, getting them ready to be administered to patients, monitoring the patients and learning from the entire experience is challenging, but I love how intellectually stimulating it is.


What is your proudest achievement to date?

Upon completion of my PhD, my thesis was awarded the Mollie Holman Doctoral Medal, one of Monash University’s highest academic honours. It recognised the quality, impact and importance of my work as a researcher and acknowledged all the effort and love I put into my career.

What makes CCS a great research environment for you?

The people around me. Science is a collaborative effort and my field of expertise, although relatively deep, is incredibly narrow. It’s amazing to be able to reach out to experts in many other areas to solve a problem together. Being able to network with and learn from world class immunologists, geneticists, clinicians, epidemiologists is invaluable.

What opportunity has had the greatest impact on your career progression?

I’m grateful for the financial support I received from Monash University through the Monash Research Scholarship and the Monash International Postgraduate Research Scholarship, which fully funded my doctoral studies. 

There is unlimited scientific potential in minds from all over the world. Brilliant ideas and thinkers just waiting for the opportunity to thrive come from the most unexpected backgrounds. Monash understands this and provided me with such an opportunity.

What are your career goals going forward?

I want to keep learning about how phage therapy can help patients suffering from all sorts of superbug infections. I want to share these lessons with my colleagues around the world through impactful publications, and with society as a whole through effective science communication. I also want to share my knowledge with the next generation of researchers, applying my love for teaching.

Do you have any advice for young researchers?

I am a firm believer in the importance of work/life balance. Any degree of success in my professional career is only enabled by the love I receive from the people in the other spheres of my life. Never neglect your own health and wellbeing, your friends and family.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Thankyou for your comment. We moderate all messages and may take a little time to review your comment. Please email inquiries to ccs.comms@monash.edu.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...